The Winter Classic goes today, well whippee... am I the only one that feels that this concept has been played out and it's no longer the big deal that it was a few years back?
After just 37 games Jordin Tootoo has already matched his career high with 18 points. He had a pair of assists last night to give him a very respectable 6+9=15, 25 PIMs & 51 shots over his last 18 games.
Hat-Trick for Sergei Kostitsyn last night, he had five goals on the season coming in and so as you can gather nights like this don't happen all the time for him. He's still only on pace for around 40 points so I wouldn't get too excited about this.
Roman Josi was second on the Preds (to Suter) in TOI (24:41) & PP time (2:55) last night... keep both eyes on this guy, lots of upside.
- First 20 games: 6+4=10, minus-11 & 50 shots
- Last 20 games: 9+12=21, plus-7 & 78 shots
QF day at the WJCs so there is still time for some big performances but here are a few guys that I was expecting more from:
- Jaden Schwartz (CAN) - has 1+3=4 in four games but this guy is a dynamic player and hasn't shown much of that so far.
- Nick Bjugstad (USA) - just one goal in four games for a guy who should be dominating this age group.
- William Karlsson (SWE) - was really impressed with him at the U-18s last year and then the Ducks made him a 2nd round pick last summer but he's managed just one assist so far.
- Evgeny Kuznetsov (RUS) - hard to call a guy that is tied for the tourney lead in points (3+6=9) a disappointment but I will... he racked up all his points against Latvia and nada against stiffer competition.
Four games into Ryan Ellis' NHL career and no points yet. He played just 13 minutes last night but has been seeing some decent minutes & PP opps so far.
Pekka Rinne has now won nine of his last 10 decisions... but his averages have actually gotten worse over that stretch.
An assist in a season high 21:26 of ice-time for Curtis Glencross gives him 6+4=10 over his last nine games. He is quietly on pace for a career high 55 points.
Rene Bourque tends to run hot & cold, so early warning that he now has goals in back-to-back games.