Here are 30 thoughts that have made me ask some players "just how are you planning on helping my fantasy team?"
1) I have never owned Tobias Enstrom in any league. You know why? Every one of my leagues counts shots. Last year he had less than a shot a game... the year before he had just 94. He's owned in 91% of Yahoo! leagues so he won't come cheap and if I'm paying that price I want a bit more than just his (very nice) 40-50 points.
2) In Enstrom's defense he has done a bit better in this department so far this year... 11 shots in eight games.
4) If you add up the shots for all of the players in point #3 (last year prorated to 82) they still don't beat Ovechkin (360 vs 376)
5) If you count Blocked Shots you know that picking them up from your d-men is relatively easy... unless you own guys like: Justin Schultz, Keith Yandle, Tyson Barrie, Patrick Wiercioch and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Somebody get these guys some shin pads.
7) Here are the skaters who were on pace for at least 40 points but less than 20 hits (last season prorated to 82 games). Loui Eriksson, Teemu Selanne, Ray Whitney, Patrick Kane, Teddy Purcell and Ales Hemsky. Toughen up princesses.
8) Malkin, Hossa, Vanek, Semin, the Sedins and Kessel are also low on the hit board. If you league counts hits, big hit stars like Stamkos, Ovechkin, Getzlaf and Kunitz sometimes can get relatively undervalued.
9) Here are the most useless guys who are currently ppg a game (or better) players: Jiri Hudler (8 pts in 6 gms), Michael Grabner (8 in 7), Teddy Purcell (8 in 7), Mason Raymond (8 in 8), Frans Nielsen (7 in 7), Josh Bailey (7 in 7), Mathieu Perreault (7 in 7), Sean Monahan (6 in 6) and Alex Chiasson (6 in 6). How of many of these guys will keep this pace up? None. The answer is none.
10) Speaking of Mason Raymond, I'm curious to see what happens to him when David Clarkson and Nikolai Kumelin come back.
11) There are currently only two dmen with more than a point a game. P.K. Subban and Mark Giordano. I wouldn't call Giordano useless and he won't keep up this pace... but he should be good for close to 40 this season.
12) How about a rant for some under producing stars.... Jonathan Toews (4), Claude Giroux (3 points), Drew Doughty (1), Nail Yakupov (0), Alexander Semin (2), Jarome Iginla (1), Sergei Gonchar (1), Kimmo Timonen (0) and Michael Del Zotto (0). All bloody useless!
12) What makes Claude Giroux's slow start all the more perplexing is he is tied for first in the league in PPTOI (with Subban).
13) Rich Peverley on L1 with Seguin and Benn. He's some what useless as he's only had one season >42 points but he's got the potential to pass 50, especially on this line
14) Same deal with Daniel Alfredsson. He's washed up but if he keeps playing on L1 with Dats and Zetts he gets a lot more interesting.
15) Jeff Skinner is lighting it up so far this year with 8 points on the board. Only problem is he's been playing with Riley Nash and Radek Dvorak on L3. Might be a good time to shop him if you can get fair value.
16) So Torts has shaken up the lines in Vancouver. Ryan Kesler with Henrik Sedin. Kesler is owned in only 82% of leagues and makes a good trade target as he has only 3 points so far. Bad news for Daniel Sedin as his new center is Mike Santorelli. Ugggg. I can't see these lines lasting though so don't panic.
17) You want useless? Check out Nashville top two lines.
L1: Colin Wilson, Mike Fisher, Patric Hornqvist
L2: Gabriel Bourque, Matt Cullen, Craig Smith
Just embarrassing. Is there even one quality fantasy asset on there... maybe Hornqvist?
18) It's early, but who would have thought the great Henrik Lundqvist would be sporting useless numbers of 3.33 gaa and a .902 sv%. I was tossing up between Lundqvist and Tuukka Rask in one league. Very glad I went with Rask.
21) I have to put Devan Dubnyk in is own category for uselessness. 0 wins, 4.92 gaa(!) and a .854 sv%(!). Now it sounds like Edmonton could be trading for a replacement at any minute. Yikes... good luck filling that hole Dubnyk owners.
23) I would have added Ondrej Pavelec to the list in point 18 (3.00 gaa / .907 sv%) but this is pretty much par for the course for him. Most overrated and useless fantasy goalie out there, in my opinion.
24) Pavelc is owned 67% of Yahoo! leagues. Guys lower than him? Evgeni Nabokov, Corey Schneider, Ben Bishop, Steve Mason and then some decent part time options like Victor Fasth, James Reimer, Brian Elliott. When are owners going to give up on this guy?
25) I guess the better question is when is Winnipeg going to give up on him? He's signed for $3.9 million until 2016-17 so I'm guessing we'll get to continue to see him stink it up in the Peg for a few more years at least.
29) At the other end of the scale Chris Kunitz leads the way with a +10.
As always, anything you agree/disagree with add it to the comments. Have any random thoughts of your own? Add them too.