Here are 30 thoughts that have made owners regret some decisions they might have made on draft day...
1) I was hoping to pick up Mikhail Grabovski in a few leagues as I figured he was a perfect fit in Washington but it didn't happen. 3+1=4 in game one and played a big 3:29 on PP#1.
3) Bryan Bickell might actually be able to live up to his contract if he keeps playing with Toews and Kane like he did in the first game. He was also on the #1 PP unit.
4) My brother messaged me during his draft and asked if he should pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. I didn't even need to ask him which round he was in, I just said no. He's injury prone and he's only going to help you in assists and PPP when he returns from injury. No thanks.
5) Did a auction on CBSSports' "new" drafting software. It was not a good experience.
6) I might regret thinking Brandon Saad is going to have a big breakout year. Yes, even after his impressive 1+2=3 first game. I was hoping he would be playing with better linemates than Andrew Shaw and Jimmy Hayes. He's still got time to find himself a spot on L1 or 2 but I don't like his breakout chances as much on L3.
7) Lars Eller got a lot of attention for his 2+1=3 game against the Leafs but he played only 16:20 in the game. TOI's were even worse for his linemates... Brendan Gallagher (11:26) and Alex Galchenyuk (13:23). All three have good breakout potential but Montreal has three good scoring lines so it might be tough getting these three enough minutes.
8) One guy I love to bounce back is Scott Hartnell. He's still playing with Claude Giroux so you have to think he improves on his brutal season last year. 30+ goals, 100+ PIM's nearly 200 shots and 150+ hits is very possible. I got him the 13th round in one league. My league mates may regret that one.
9) I regret having a crappy computer. During the FHS Beta League auction Firefox crashed and Yahoo!'s Autodraft took over for about 30 seconds. I log back in to see nearly all my remaining dollars were spent on Jakub Voracek, ruining my plan and my budget in the process. I thought Voracek wasn't too bad since he would likely be playing with Giroux and Hartnell. Not so fast... he was lining up with Maxime Talbot & Sean Couturier. Thank you Autodraft!
10) The guy I wished autodraft would have taken for me was Brayden Schenn, he was playing on the 1st line and was getting some good PP TOI (and a power play goal) on the second unit. Can you say breakout?
11) One more Flyer point... Giroux played 9:34 on the PP against the Leafs. That's a ton.
12) I regret drafting both Viktor Fasth and Jonas Hiller. If I would have paid a bit extra I could have had a legit #1 one. I would have saved myself a roster spot and if they split time all year, as most expect, neither will very useful to me. Maybe Fasth getting pumped for six goals on opening night could end up being a blessing for me. Guess I'm cheering for Hiller to have a good start now.
13) Does it bother anybody else how there are only 15 guys with 100% ownership in Yahoo! Leagues. Am I missing something? What kind of league are you in where Henrik Sedin, Rick Nash, etc aren't owned?
14) I regret that Yahoo! isn't a bit more clued in. Brent Burns qualifies as a d-man when he's playing forward (with Thornton no less). Not many 50 point d-men out there but Burns could easily be one this season. Well done to those who snapped him up.
15) I regret not picking up Marc-Andre Fleury. He has a guarenteed #1 job on one of the best teams in the league and he was going for a discount. Sure his playoff meltdowns were a bit of a concern, but it seemed like a good risk to take. His shutout in game one must be making his owners happy.
16) Same deal with Roberto Luongo. Seemed like he was undervalued in a lot of the leagues I was in. I think Vancouver has a good season under Torts, even if Game #1 wasn't so hot.
17) I still can't believe Matt Stajan is a #1 center. He played over 22 minutes against the Caps. He could play 50 minutes a game and I still don't think I'd pick him up.
18) Dennis Wideman had the most PPTOI for the Flames' blueliners but the surprise #2 on that list is Kris Russell. Gotta think that Mark Giordano or TJ Brodie gets that spot eventually. However, Russell might be worth a look in very deep leagues if these PPTOI's continue.
20) Did you know that Andre Benoit is playing on the #1 PP in Colorado? No points in game #1 but keep an eye on him deep leaguers.
21) There is lots of talent in Colorado nowadays. Their third line is Jamie McGinn, Nathan MacKinnon & P.A. Parenteau. Not too shabby. Pretty good situation for Patrick Roy to come in and look like a genius.
22) I had my eye on Erik Cole for a couple of deeper leagues but I must have been one of the few as he's owned in just 4% of Yahoo! leagues. Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn get all the attention but Cole is the third wheel on the top line and he's be waaay cheaper. I think we'll be seeing a bounceback here.
23) Fantasy owners should start to get to know the 2nd line in Florida:.Jonathan Huberdeau, Aleksander Barkov & Brad Boyes. Barkov picked up his first NHL goal in his first NHL game. Won't be long until this is the #1 unit I would say.
24) I regret being in so many leagues with Cam as it's pretty tough to get your hands on Tomas Hertl. He's playing with Joe Thornton and Brent Burns. ROY material here. 1 apple in his first NHL game and he's only owned in 6% of Yahoo! leagues.
25) In the FHS Beta League Alex Ovechkin went for the biggest dollar value -- $59 ($200 total budget). I thought it was crazy to pay more than 25% of your budget on one player. I'm going head to head against the team that bought Ovie and he's killing me. 3+2=5, 4 PIM's, 4 PPP, 7 hits and a nutso 20 shots in just two games. Stop the bleeding!
26) I think the most depressing thing in fantasy hockey is being in a crazy deep league and not having a starting goalie on your team. Nobody will trade one and nobody is available on the wire. Sigh.
28) I didn't see the game but I did see that Patrick Maroon played a bit with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf in the box score. He's had a couple of big AHL seasons so maybe he gets hot and sticks. I wouldn't go running to the waiver wire yet as he only played 9:50 total in game #1 with no points. Kyle Palmieri also got some time with the two top dogs.
29) I drafted Zach Parise in a couple of leagues as there are very few elite LW's out there. I'm hoping for 70-80 points but the last two years he's put up just 69 and 65 (prorated). I'm thinking I should have picked somebody else.
30) One thing I don't regret is having some hockey to watch again. The summer is too long.