Just when you thought it wasn't possible for the Tampa Bay forward situation to be more overcrowded, Brandon Bochenski had two goals and an assist in their first exhibition game. Wouldn't expect him to make the team, given the gaggle of forwards ahead of him, but he may be auditioning for other teams and could end up in a better situation by the time the season starts.
- Sergie Gonchar left the game vs TB in the first period after he took a hit from David Koci and didn't return, stay tuned for more details on this one.
- Thomas Vanek pinched a nerve in his knee Friday during physicals and is expected to miss a few preseason games.
- Erik Johnson says his knee is feeling fine after a scare on the golf course last week but wait for the MRI to confirm his self-diagnosis.
Potential Line Combos:
- SJ coach Todd McLellan has Patrick Marleau with Joe Thornton and Ryane Clowe on the 1st line and Milan Michalek with Joe Pavelski and Jonathon Cheechoo on the 2nd line. Good news for fans of Clowe and Pavelski as they get nice assignments under the new coach but downgrades for Cheechoo as he slips off the top line and Devin Setoguchi who is stuck on the 4th line with Jeremy Roenick.
- NYI lines... not sure you can call anything on this squad a 1st or 2nd line but the top line has Jon Sim with Doug Weight and one of Bill Guerin or Kyle Okposo... Josh Bailey centers the 2nd line with Blake Comeau and Mike Comrie on his wings... so no room in the top 6 for Jeff Tambellini.
- So far in camp Erik Cole has snagged the 1st line LW spot with Shawn Horcoff and Ales Hemsky which bumps Dustin Penner down to the 3rd line... big downgrade for whoever loses out on this battle, which should be one of the better ones in all of the league's training camps.
- Mark Giordano has been paired with Dion Phaneuf so far... the kid should get a chance to play this year but not sure he'll stick with Phaneuf for long.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... One of the games of the year in the EPL, Chelsea v Man Utd, should be a classic... think Red Sox-Yankees but if they were locks to finish one-two in the standings and only played twice a year.