Kyle Wellwood hasn't been taking advantage of his 2nd chance with Vancouver and apparently reported to camp out of shape... the team is going to give him some time in camp to get his act together but talk about not making a good impression with your new employers.
Injury Updates (see our new Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- Sergei Gonchar will have an MRI today to determine the extent of his shoulder injury but the way the team is talking it appears to be fairly serious... so stay tuned.
- SJs Torrey Mitchell has a fractured leg and is out for up to 8 weeks, he shouldn't have been on your cheatsheet anyway but take him off if he was.
- Paul Stastny left practice on Saturday with a shoulder injury and the extent was unknown but on Sunday it was reported that it was just a bruised shoulder and he should be fine but will a few days of camp.
- Marian Gaborik is already injured, he's day-to-day with a pulled right quad... its not expected to be serious but not a good sign for a guy who is as brittle as peanut butter brittle.
- Erik Ersberg of LA will miss some training camp action with the flu.
Potential Line Combos:
- Milan Lucic is getting a shot at the 1st line LW slot with Marc Savard and Michael Ryder.
- NJ wants Brian Rolston to center the #1 line between Patrik Elias and Brian Gionta.
- Nathan Horton is moving to center under new coach Peter DeBoer and is the pivot between Cory Stillman and Rostislav Olesz right now which bumps Stephen Weiss down to #2C... there's not enough talent on this roster to go around so if Weiss is not the #1C, then don't go near him.
Put up a new poll today... in a one year standard league with 6 offensive categories, who do you take with your 1st overall pick? Results of our last poll were fairly mixed but the most popular choice to have a big breakout season was Steven Stamkos with 39% followed by Phil Kessel with 27%... our choice of the group was Andrew Cogliano but he only received 19% of the vote and Kyle Turris was bottom choice with 15%. As we mentioned before all four are prominently featured in the Breakout Bible 2008 although none of these guys are is one our top 3 breakout candidates.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... finally a flurry of action tonight on the NHL exhibition schedule as there are 8 games... sorry this isn't really a funny distraction but we're still pretty fired up about hockey being fired up again.