Erik Johnson has torn 2 ligaments in his knee, ACL and MCL?, and will be out for 6 to 9 months so he could miss the entire season... holy shit... can't say we didn't warn you (see our Dilemma of the Day on Sept. 19th), hopefully you took our advice and some other GM in your league is trying to figure out how to replace a 40 point dman right now. As for St. Louis replacing him... Steve Wagner could get more of a look on the PP, Alex Pietrangelo had 2 PP assists last night but we don't expect him to last more than 9 games in the NHL this year or maybe they'll go after Mathieu Schneider now? Whoever it is, it probably doesn't matter cause St. Louis had the worst PP% for the past two season and scored the lowest number of PP goals last year and if you've read our Coach Rankings you know we don't have a lot of faith in Andy Murray.
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- Erik Christensen hurt his shoulder on Tuesday. He had an MRI and the results will be known today... stay tuned
- Sergei Gonchar is still waiting for the swelling to go down before having an MRI on his shoulder... but this is sounding kinda serious.
- Wojtek Wolski will be out for about a week with a foot injury suffered on Saturday.
- Alexandre Picard of Ottawa is sidelined day-to-day with a groin injury.
- Paul Stastny is fully recovered from his shoulder injury and is back practicing.
- Nicklas Backstrom has fully recovered from the sprained ankle he suffered last week.
Rumours are swirling about Michael Nylander being moved although he has a no-trade clause and he's said he doesn't want to leave. He kinda appears to be the odd man out in Washington since Backstrom and Fedorov filled in during his absence... it looks like he'll be starting on the 3rd line with Chris Clark and Tomas Fleischmann.
Damian Cristodero of the St. Pete Times says that Andrew Hutchinson "has shown absolutely nothing" in training camp and might be cut... this isn't really big news but some sites and publications have been pumping this guy up, so if you followed someone else's advice, thought you might want to know... if you've been using our fantasy hockey rankings, top 75 dmen... you know he's not on there.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... Word is that Claude Lemieux wants to come out of retirement... apparently the 43 year old has been training for the last 10 weeks and is looking for a team to give him a shot but no takers yet... good luck with that... can't imagine Kris Draper is begging Ken Holland to sign him and not sure that Cam Neely is pulling for him to come to Boston....