Sergei Gonchar is out for the rest of the pre-season with a dislocated shoulder and he and the team are considering the next step, including possibly surgery... so this could be longer if they decide to go for the surgery... ouch. Pittsburgh already lost Ryan Whitney for an extended period and now maybe Gonch as well. More good news for Kris Letang and really good news for Alex Goligoski as he should make the team now for sure and will see significant PP time, although they may use Malkin back there with Letang on the 1st unit (despite his pylon-esque defensive abilities).
Bobby Ryan shook off all those trade rumours and was 2+1=3 last night for Anaheim... we like this kid for a decent 40-50 point season this year but we think a breakout is more likely next year... much more in the Breakout Bible. Ryan Getzlaf was 1+3=4 in the game as well... if anyone cares about him.
Ottawa made some cuts and sent down prospects Alexander Nikulin, Ryan Shannon and Ilya Zubov, ... we didn't really have high hopes for these guys but thought, at least, they'd be a little closer to cracking the roster.
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- Erik Christensen had a MRI on his shoulder and it was all roses so he should be fine and is only out day-to-day
- Alexei Kovalev has a groin injury but it doesn't seem serious and his status is day-to-day.
- Sidney Crosby has a minor groin strain and is out day-to-day but remember that he's had a history of groin strains... so not a good sign.
- Nicklas Lidstrom has a busted beak and needed stitches to close a cut to his forehead after taking a puck to the face. He should be out for a few pre-season games but nothing serious.
- Chris Campoli was crunched into the boards during a game Tuesday night and has left the team's training camp in Moncton to return to NY for "further evaluation"... not good for a guy who missed 36 games last year with a shoulder injury and surgery.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... Everyone's going gay... seems like the "In" thing to do... Lindsay Lohan, Clay Aiken, hell even one of the hottest chicks on the planet, Megan Fox, says that she was in love with a (female) stripper for a while... what's going on??? Next you're going to try to tell us that Richard Simmons is gay... that where this has to stop cause we know that's hogwash.