Getting caught up after missing the weekend, hopefully everyone's draft was aces...
Nikolai Khabibulin has been put on waivers, so seems that GM Dale Tallon wants to get rid of him soon... they'll probably try to work out a trade with someone... more on this tomorrow.
So Brian Burke finally found a taker for Mathieu Schneider in Atlanta and pretty much gave him away getting the contracts of Ken Klee, Brad Larsen and Chad Painchaud in return. Schneider should get a chance to lead the PP and play some good minutes with Atlanta although it creates a situation where one of him, Ron Hainsey and Tobias Enstrom are going to be left of the top PP unit... we'll keep an eye on this one to see how it turns out.
The Schneider trade allowed Anaheim to sign Teemu Selanne to a 2 year deal yesterday and he showed that all of his offseason training paid off as he jumped into the lineup with 2 goals last night. Keep Teemu high on your cheatsheets he doesn't show many signs of slowing down.
NYR cut Petr Nedved, not really surprising although he did show well in preseason.
Carolina cut Drayson Bowman, one of our favourite young players, we thought he had an outside chance to crack the roster and maybe surprise some people but it wasn't meant to be this year... he'll go back to Spokane in the dub.
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- The latest on Sergei Gonchar is that he'll have his shoulder re-evaluated today and if they decide no surgery is necessary then he'll miss around 6-8 weeks but if surgery is necessary he could be out anywhere from 2 to 8 months... so stay tuned but either way this is pretty serious.
- Jason Arnott has missed a few pre-season games with a groin injury and he's still day-to-day.
- Manny Fernandez has a thumb injury which doesn't appear serious but will put him on the shelf for a little while... not good when you're trying to re-establish yourself after missing most of last season with an injury.
- Georges Laraque has a pulled groin and the extent is unclear but it may be serious.
- Brent Burns, Alex Kovalev and Alexandre Picard have all recovered, are cleared to play and in some cases back in action.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... we were away for the weekend and now just getting caught up on everything that happened over the weekend... so that will keep us very busy given that the pre-season is in full effect, its coming down to the nitty-gritty for roster battles and the regular season starts in 5 days.... time to power up the flat screen, make sure she's in working order cause as Swedish rockers Europe so eloquently put it... "dudududuuuu, dududududu, dudududuuuuu.... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... Its the final countdown"