Nik Khabibulin cleared waivers yesterday... so now we wait.
Roberto Luongo was named Vancouver's captain... first time in 60 years that a goalie will be a captain... does this mean we can finally scrap the boring ceremonial faceoff and have a ceremonial penalty shot to start the game instead?... would love to see like David Suzuki trying to beat Luongo five-hole to kick off a game.
Anaheim sent Sean O'Donnell to LA for a draft pick. Not really fantasy news but this should mean that Brian Burke can manage the cap now and Bobby Ryan won't have to go to the minors.
Speaking of Babs Ryan... TSN is reporting that Toronto GM Cliff Fletcher tried to acquire Ryan and Mathieu Schneider from Anaheim offering his 1st round pick in 2009 (conditional) along with two prospects. Can someone please hit Cliff with a tranquilizer dart, he needs to stop trying to trade any more of his draftsmaft picks.
Jeff O'Neill has given up on his comeback with Carolina and has left training camp.
Mikkel Boedker had two more assists for Phoenix last night and is making a strong case to stay with the team.
Stephane Veilleux, who became one of our favorite players after this story last week, had two goals, including the overtime winner last night for Minnesota.... how long before all teams add suicide wings to their pre-game meal menu?
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- Paul Gaustad had thumb surgery and is out 3 to 4 weeks... if you needed a reason to not draft him then there you are.
- Marian Gaborik, Thomas Vanek and Martin Havlat have all recovered from their injuries and are back in action.
- Mike Cammalleri sat out the 3rd period of Calgary's game last night, no word on an injury but we're checking in to that for ya.
Potential Line Combos:
- Ottawa coach Craig Hartsburg has put the Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley line back together after auditioning different players on the top line... sorry Jesse Winchester.
- Fabian Brunnstrom is playing on the top line with Brenden Morrow and Mike Ribeiro.
- Patrice Bergeron is expected to play the point on the 1st PP unit this year (as he did before he was hurt)... bad, bad news for Dennis Wideman who had a breakout year last year playing in that spot.
- LA coach Terry Murray has thrown his support behind Jason LaBarbera as his #1 goalie. We still like Erik Ersberg to win the starting job there eventually as we don't have a lot of faith in LaBabs.
We will be updating our FREE Fantasy Hockey Rankings in the next few days (mostly injury updates) so that people will be armed and dangerous heading into their drafts this weekend... so check back soon.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper is taking heat cause it was discovered that he copied a speech that the Australian Prime Minister gave and used it as his own like 5 years ago... not sure what tipped people off but we're surprised this wasn't discovered earlier given this excerpt from the speech...
We'd like to promise to the Canadian public, all the mates and sheila's out there, that we're searching all over the Iraqi outback, checking every billabong looking for those Al-Qaeda bushwhackers... so stop your whinging cause soon we'll capture those blokes and bring our bushrangers back home so that they can enjoy shrimp and snags on the barbie with a tinnie of Fosters, I mean, Molson Canadian.