According to Atlanta GM Don Waddell all that work that Zach Bogosian has put in to realize his dream of becoming an NHLer was futile... Zach owes it all to Mathieu Schneider... "I’d say it’s more heavily favored toward keeping him," Waddell said. "I think we’d keep him because of Schneider." So Bogosian looks to have made the team, for now, whether he lasts the whole season is another story but either way keep your expectations low.
Andy McDonald was 1+2=3 last night and now has 11 points in 4 pre-season games.
Miikka Kiprusoff gave up 6 goals last night... could this mean another slow start for the Kipper?
Nikolai Khabibulin could be headed to Russia.... with love (Chicago would love it)... or this could just be another tactic by GM Dale Tallon to try to create some urgency around the league and open up the market for $6.75M backups.
There are rumours that Boston is shopping Marc Savard looking for a top Dman in return... typical Harry Sinden move if it happens.... when is Boston not looking to trade their best forward?
Claude Giroux hasn't shown enough in camp and may start the season in the AHL, but he will see NHL games this year, according to coach John Stevens. "I think Claude has done just OK, to be honest with you," said Stevens. "There is a lot of pressure on this kid to make the team coming in. I think he has gotten better as we move through camp. In late-breaking news... Steve Downie may have hurt his knee last night and could this open a spot for Giroux to stick with the big club?
Chicago cut Petri Kontiola so apparently he's not going to be their #2C, "He didn't have a good camp," GM Dale Tallon said. "He just didn't have any jump. I was expecting a lot more."
Edmonton placed Ryan Potulny on waivers... if you believed other websites you'd think this guy had a 2nd line spot locked up from the moment he was acquired from Philly... we think he's got a 2nd line spot lined up... in Springfield.
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page which will give you a consolidated list of injury status):
- Derrick Brassard is suffering from "flu-like symptoms", the team says he did not sustain a concussion but they did acknowledge the symptoms are likely related to the third-period hit he absorbed on Monday night against Chicago.... wow, didn't know you could contract the flu just by getting run over by someone.
- Josh Harding got hit in the eye with a stick and has an eye abrasion... not sure how serious.
- Erik Christensen played Wednesday and scored.
- Zdeno Chara played Wednesday and scored, so his shoulder looks better.
- Vinny Lecavalier has played 2 games since recovering from offseason shoulder surgery... he scored yesterday as well.
- Nicklas Lidstrom returned from his face injury last night and proved that he can put up points with his eyes closed as he had 2 assists.
- Manny Fernandez returned to action last night and was between the pipes for Boston.
We will be updating our FREE Fantasy Hockey Rankings in the next few days (mostly injury updates) so that people will be armed and dangerous heading into their drafts this weekend... so check back soon.
Distraction of the Day
What's distracting us today... Alright, we have to admit, when it comes to everything other that hockey, we've self-diagnosed ourselves with some form of ADD where we can't stay interested in anything for longer than 4 minutes... let alone be distracted by something for 2 straight days... but we're just swept up in the election hoopla... and we're not even talking about the US election juggernaut which has been going, for what, like 4 years now already? We're talking Canada. Check out this thrilling speech by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper... not sure when this happened but it obviously wasn't given enough press cause we missed it... not sure who the kids in the back are but apparently someone was up way too late last night wasting time on facebook... fast forward to the 2 minute mark for the money shot.
Love how Harper seems unfazed... they just cart the kid off, sub in some other Poindexter and keep the momentum going.... the show must go on!