Iggy assisted by bad reffing... Bergfors & Flash worth a look... Vokoun unbeatable but gets shelled... Lehtonen gets injured during surgery... lots of guys nicked up... link-grab bag
For the second night in a row, the refs totally fubared a call in overtime that cost a team a point. Last night it was in Dallas, where the refs made a phantom delay of game call against the Stars and Jarome Iginla took advantage on the PP to net the OT winner. Iggy had 2+1=3 last night and looks like he might be shaking off an early season slump and on his way to his typical 90+ point season.
Nicklas Bergfors was a guy we haven't paid much attention to as we sorta wrote him off after four underwhelming seasons in the AHL, but you have to remember that he's only 22-years old. He's looked good for the Devils so far this year and with 4+2=6 in his last six games, he's working his way into our good books. The fact that he's on pace for 271 shots really turns us on... we love sogs!
The Caps Tomas Fleischmann has come out of the gate flying with 3+1=4 in four games after missing the first 10 games due to a blood clot in his leg. This guy has always teased with his potential but has never lived up to the hype, so be warned, but keep an eye on him as if he can land a spot on a line with Ovie & Backstrom, then he could breakout.
Steve Reinprecht continued his torrid pace with two more points to give him 9+2=11 in his last eight games... grab him if you need a spark but we think the clock is about to strike midnight any minute now.
We were hard on Tomas Vokoun after his eight game losing streak so its only fair that he show him some love after back-to-back shutouts. Albeit, they were against two of the leagues struggling offensive teams in St.Louis and Carolina, but still full credit for TV. Lets be clear on this, TV's a good goalie but its not a good situation to be facing 36 shots a game, which is what he's averaging.
Speaking of goalies we're not recommending, Peter Budaj had a 28 save one-out last night in his first appearance of the year. Good for him but he's playing behind a hot Craig Anderson, probably won't see much action and isn't very good... if you needed three reasons to avoid this guy.
Anton Stralman in Columbus is worth a look as he has 1+6=7 in his last 10 games and seems to be gaining Coach Hitchcock's trust as he played a team leading 23:55 last night.
The Blues have called up Lars Eller from the AHL where he's put up 11 points in as many games this year. This kid's going to be a good one so you may want to get a look as he makes his debut tonight against Calgary.
Injury Updates (see our Injury Updates page for a consolidated list of injuries):
The Oilers Shawn Horcoff has been having a pretty brutal season (5 points in 15 games) and now he's picked up a shoulder injury that is expected to keep him out for 7-10 days.
Kari Lehtonen can't stay healthy when he plays and now it appears that he can't get healthy after surgery. He had offseason surgery on his back, had a relapse and now has had another surgery that will keep him out for another 6-8 weeks. We'll put the over/under on the number of games he sees this year at 10.
The Predators are supposed to get Jason Arnott back tonight but it looks like they'll be without JP Dumont (UBI) and Colin Wilson (groin)... not sure on the extent of the injuries for either of these guys but it doesn't sound serious.
Rob Blake left last night's game with a shoulder injury, no word on the extent yet.
Scottie Upshall sat out last night's game due to a LBI, he's listed as day-to-day.
Marty Hanzal left last night's game with a UBI... dude's a stiff, you don't want him on your fantasy team even if he's healthy... imho.
Returning to action from the injured list last night was: Mike Modano, Jere Lehtinen and Nikita Filatov.
What's distracting us today? How about a little link-o-rama?
- Jakub Voracek has some really bad hair. Oh, and apparently it's Jake now... don't forget where you came from brother. (h/t to Puck Daddy)
- Orland Kurtenblog explains that all backup goalies fit into one of six categories. We think we need a special category for goalies stuck behind Vesa Toskala... the 'WTF Goalies'
- Rock the Red brings us one of the greatest moments in hockey card history
- Down Goes Brown put together another one of their awesome lists. This time it's Ron Wilson's 15 point plan for fixing the Leafs. Here's just one example: "From now on, before every game each member of the starting lineup must eat a hair from Ian White's moustache"
- Ever heard of the band Propagandhi? We haven't. We think that means we're officially old, or uncool... or maybe both. Either way, they are a punk band and they have a song called 'Dear Coach's Corner' that features Grapes and Ron MacLean. It's actually pretty good.
- Seven of the greatest fights/brawls in NHL history. Good if you like that kinda of thing... and we do.
- Finally...TSN's top plays of the week. Man we love that Stamkos goal: