Holy Byfuglien... Leighton ties Jon Casey's record... three helpers for Leino... Kovy gets big offer... Prongs goes minus-5 and says he's day-to-day
Holy, Dustin Byfuglien came to play last night with 2+2=4 and hitting everything he saw including a monster takedown of Chris Pronger. Pronger got up but maybe it threw him off a little as he finished with a pretty incredible minus-5.
Maybe Mike Leighton was thrown off a little himself as he gave up three 1st period goals (on 13 shots) and was pulled after the period in favour of Brian Boucher, who wasn't much better as he gave up three goals on 14 shots. So now Laviolette has a decision on his hands for game #6 but you gotta believe that all roads lead back to Leighton being the starter again. Great stat I heard today, Leighton is the first goal to get pulled twice in the finals since Jon Casey back in 1991 for M'sota.
Another crazy game for Ville Leino last night as he had three assists in almost 20 minutes of ice-time, including one of the sweetest setups we've seen in a while on Simon Gagne's goal late in the 3rd. Figuring out if this guy is for real and whether he can carry this momentum into next season is going to be one of our biggest challenges of the offseason.
Rumours have been swirling that Habs 2009 1st rounder Louis Leblanc may leave Harvard after one season to join the Q next year and it's looking more likely now after his rights were traded to the Montreal Juniors over the weekend. We were pretty high on his fantasy prospects heading into the draft but 23 points in 31 games at Harvard this year didn't really excite us too much... a big season in the Q would get us back on board.
Reports out of Russia are saying SKA of the KHL has offered Ilya Kovalchuk an incredible $42 million bucks for just three years. That's $14 mill / year for those of you without a calculator. No word on what Kovy is thinking but with numbers like those you have to think it's going to be tough for him to stay in the NHL, especially if his agent (or wife) has anything to say about it.
What's distracting us today?
- Money quote from the human quote machine Chris Pronger... Prongs declared himself "day-to-day with hurt feelings" after getting booed by the Hawk fans. Classic.
- Chicago has camel Toews. Double classic.
- Just wanted you to know that somewhere around 66th overall Greg McKegg will be selected at this year's Entry Draft... that is one sweet ass name. Check out all his details on Matchsticks and Gasoline.
- The Philadelphia Union (the MLS team) paid a little tribute to the Flyers in their game against the Chicago Fire. Unfortunately it was a sign of things to come as the Union lost 2-1 to the Fire.
- Yeah okay, this video is from after Game #4... but it's too awesome not to post: