Pavol goes to the KHL... Mikko makes millions... Stars sign future star... Dubie gets a deal... The Hammer gets matched... Afro to the KHL?... Top 10 Crazy Hockey Moments
NEW! Pavol Demitra signed with the KHL so take him off your draft lists and drop him in a keeper leagues. Reports have the deal at one year so there is a chance he could return to the NHL but after 17 seasons this is likely the last we see of Demitra.
NEW! Mikko Koivu signed a monster seven year, $47.5 million deal with the Wild. Seems like a lot of money for a guy with a career high of 71 points. He's had two years of around 0.9 ppg and that's probably what you should expect for next season as well. While his numbers aren't of the superstar variety it's pretty impressive considering who his linemates have been. Imagine what this guy could do if he had some talent around him.
NEW! Backup goalie Josh Harding re-upped with the Wild for one year at $1.2 million. After a great 2008-09 (2.21 gaa & .921 sv%) he slipped last year (3.05 & .905). He's one of the more talented backups out there but as long as Niklas Backstrom is in front of him (and playing 60-70 games) Harding has little to no value.
Dallas signed Scott Glennie, their 2009 1st rounder (8th overall), to a three year entry level deal. Glennie has put up some big numbers in the WHL (89 points in 66 games last year) and has all the makings of a future star. He's only 19 so give him a few years but he's one to own in keeper leagues.
Devan Dubnyk signed a two year, $1.6 million deal. If you're thinking that means DD is the #1 in Edmonton, think again. Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers is awaiting arbitration and don't forget about Nikolai Khabibulan who may or may not be ready to start for the year. Hmmm... no guaranteed job, one of the worst teams in the league and all three had gaa's north of 3.00 last year... avoid them at all costs come draft day.
If your league counts PIM's, two important names signed yesterday. Dan Carcillo and Jared Boll re-upped with the Flyers and Jackets respectively. Carcillo was 4th in the league in PIM's and Boll was 15th. Draft 'em, if you need 'em.
Niklas Hjalmarsson's $14 million, four year offer sheet was matched by the Hawks. Usually we don't get too excited about signing a 17 point d-man but this deal should end up with the Hawks parting ways with at least one of Patrick Sharp, Antti Niemi and Brian Campbell. We're assuming they'll be sending Cristobal Huet to the minors. Niemi leaving would cause the biggest fantasy ripple as the Hawks #1 is somebody you want to own. Don't feel bad for the Hawks, they brought this on themselves. Monster deals for Campbell, Huet and Hossa are the reason they are in this situation.
Another rumour for you. It's looking more and more like Alex Frolov is heading to the KHL, After only 19 goals last year we were hoping he would end up in a nice situation (like Pittsburgh) and would be a great buy low candidate. He's got 30 goal potential.
What's distracting us this week?
- NEW! You've probably already seen this, but the sheer awesomeness of the Old Spice Guy talking about the Stanley Cup is mind blowing... although what's with 'ice team'?
- NEW! Second City Hockey has a sneek peak at which player will be on the front cover of AHL 11. Ahhh photoshop, we love you.
- Blades of Funny use their twitter account for evil instead of good. Namely mocking Bosh and LBJ (at the bottom of the post). Three zings a row. Love it.
- We're assuming this fan cartoon was made by a young fan. If that's the case, great stuff! If not, we worry for you xxalicecullen. 'Pavel Datsyuk in 'A Case of Dangleitis'
- Ladies and Gentlemen of Oiler Nation allow us to introduce you to your future... in all their awkward glory! Seriously, though they seem like three good kids. Exciting days in Edmonton.
- We know it's now back-to-back weeks we've hit up the HockeyWebCaster YouTube channel for distractions but if they keep posting the goods we'll keep re-posting them for your viewing pleasure. This week it's the Top 10 Crazy Hockey Moments of All-Time. We love the bizarre hockey clips at FHS so this great list from TSN is completely up our alley. Sure, you've probably seen these clips a ton of times but if you're the type of person who get's tired of watching Tie Domi & Rob Ray fight a fat fan maybe you should just move along to another site.