Here we take a look at the last two weeks of fantasy hockey and see who's hot and cold. Normally we'll focus on who's hot or cold but since it's the first two weeks of the year we'll look at some players who've surprised/disappointed us early on.
We've got three lists for you today:
1) Top 5 Pickups
2) Early Surprises
3) Early Disappointments
Follow the jump to check them out.
Top 5 Pickups (players available in more than 50% of Yahoo! Leagues)
1) T.J. Oshie, C, STL (owned in 33% of leagues) - We're big fans of T.J.'s and his 1+7=8 in his last six games should get your attention as well. He's playing on the 1st line and getting excellent PT. Only problem is he's a C which is a very deep position. Buuuuut he's been playing wing this year so he might have W eligibility very soon. Grab him now!
2) Matt Taormina, D, NJ (6% owned) - He had a 50 point season in the AHL last year (with John MacLean as his coach). He's playing over 20 minutes a game and 3:21 / game on the PP. He's got 2+2=4 in eight games already and is showing no signs of slowing down... especially if the Devils can stop sucking.
3) Jason Pomi,nville, RW, BUF (42% owned) - He's suffering from a concussion but is back practicing and could return next week (although the following week is more likely). We're talking about a guy with 65 point and 250 shot potential here... you could do a lot worse.
4) P.A. Parenteau, RW, NYI (8% owned) - Hands up... who picked the 3rd line LW from Long Island to play at a point-a-game pace? He is getting some good PP time at 4:38 / game and has some big junior and AHL seasons under his belt. The Islanders will give plenty of opportunity to whoever shows they can score. He's a bit of a longshot but is a great target for deeper leaguers.
5) Andrei Loktionov, LW, LAK (1% owned) - This is one for very deep leagues. Loktionov has picked up 1+1=2 in his first five games and is playing with Kopitar and Brown on L1. He's playing ~15 minutes / game and is seeing some time with the top PP unit as well. Like Parenteau, he's a long shot but he could pay off.
Early Surprises (Players produced well above what we projected)
James Wisniewski D NYI - 1+7=8 in 6 games - The Wiz is playing at a 109 point pace.
Steven Stamkos C TB - 8+6=14 in 7 games - There's hot and then there's whatever Stamkos is doing
Brendan Morrison C CGY - 1+5=6 in 7 games - We didn't think he would get six points all season.
Derek Stepan C NYR- 3+2=5 in 6 games - NYR needs firepower up the middle, so far so good for Stepan.
John-Michael Liles, D COL - 0+10=10 in 8 games - We projected him for 35 points all year. He's almost a 3rd of the way there.
Todd Bertuzzi RW DET - 2+7=9 in 7 games - Could somebody tell Bertuzzi it's not 2002.
Mark Letestu C PIT- 4+3=7 in 9 games - Centering Malkin has it's advantages.
Nathan Horton RW BOS - 5+4=9 in 6 games - He's second in the league in ppg this season (behind Stamkos). Yeah, we'd say he likes Beantown.
Matt Cullen C MIN - 3+6=9 in 7 games - He has never hit the magical 50 point mark in his career but with his current PT (~20 min / gm) and linemates (Guillaume Latendresse & Martin Havlat) that might change this season.
Clarke MacArthur LW TOR- 6+2=8 in 7 games - He had some pretty decent seasons in the 'A' and junior but this is way outside of what you can expect from C-Mac.
Milan Lucic LW BOS - 3+3=6 in 6 games - It's a small sample size but it's a good sign we'll get the 40-50 point Lucic instead of the 27 point disaster from last year.
Tomas Kopecky LW CHI - 1+7=8 in 9 games - Looks like he's won a scoring line role (for now) and with talent like that around him a 40-50 point season is a definite possibility.
Andrew Ladd LW ATL- 3+5=8 in 8 games - He's got 50 point, 70 PIM and 200 shot potential... he's playing on L1 and getting PP time (which he didn't get in Chicago).
Patrick Sharp LW CHI- 8+3=11 in 9 games - Picking up right where he left off after last year's playoffs (22 points in 22 games).
Blake Comeau RW NYI- 3+4=7 in 8 games - He's playing over his head but with linemates like Tavares and Moulson and his high PP TOI (4:27 / game) a breakout could be in the cards. Might lose his top line job when Okposo returns.
Chris Stewart RW COL - 5+5=10 in 8 games - Both of the Stewart brothers have started strong but Chris makes the list because he is 7th in the league in points. A great start to his third season.
Kris Letang D PIT - 2+6=8 in 9 games - Do you think the Pens PP is missing Gonchar? Not as long as Letang (and Goligoski) keep their hot starts going.
Early Disappointments (Players who are producing well below what we projected)
Nikita Filatov LW CLB - 0+2=2 in 7 games - Be patient. He's too good to be this bad.
Kris Versteeg LW TOR- 1+1=2 in 7 games - He's playing a ton but not getting the results.
Kevin Bieksa D VAN- 0+0=0 in 8 games - He's definitely not helping his trade value.
Chris Pronger D PHI - 0+1=1 in 5 games - See kids, being an ass doesn't pay off.
Jiri Hudler LW DET - 0+2=2 in 7 games - He's apparently a bit out of shape so be a bit patient if you can.
David Clarkson RW NJ- 0+0=0 in 8 games - Kovy gets healthy scratched and Clarkson's all good?
Jakub Voracek RW CLB- 0+2=2 in 7 games - After Ken Hitchcock left last year, Jake had 22 points in 23 games so we were pumped for a big season. We're still believers, but he's making it tough.
Ryan Kesler C VAN- 2+1=3 in 8 games - Keep reminding yourself he scored 75 pts and had 104 PIM's last year.
Taylor Hall LW EDM - 0+1=1 in 6 games - We told you to temper your expectations with Hall, he'll get better than this though.
Duncan Keith D CHI- 0+3=3 in 10 games - One of the best fantasy dmen of the year last season is off to a slow start.
Kimmo Timonen D PHI- 0+0=0 in 7 games - Normally he's good for a 1/2 a point a game at least. We'll chalk it up to a bad couple of weeks,
Alex Kovalev RW OTT- 0+1=1 in 8 games - No 'cold' list would be complete without Kovy on it.
Drew Doughty D LA - 0+1=1 in 5 games - Struggling and now injured.
Zach Parise LW NJ - 3+1=4 in 8 games - Maybe now that Kovalchuk has been replaced by Zubrus on his line he can turn things around.
Mike Green D WAS - 0+1=1 in 5 games - Now that he's heathy... it's just a matter of time.
Nicklas Backstrom C WAS- 1+3=4 in 8 games - This could be the only time Backs makes this list all year.
Simon Gagne LW TB - 0+0=0 in 6 games - The rest of the team is putting up points but somehow Gagne has managed to stay off the scoreboard. Now he's got an injury as well.
Michael Frolik RW FLA- 0+2=2 in 6 games - We were hoping for a breakout... not a great start.
Nik Antropov C ATL - 0+1=1 in 7 games - He scored 67 points on a terrible Thrasher team last year so what gives?