1) Matt Martin is the NHL hits leader (by a wide margin at 264) which isn't that surprising. What is surprising is that Cody Franson is second with 200. He's way above his normal pace for hits.
2) When you add is in his 26 points, 16 PIM's and 85 shots Franson has to be one of the best bargains from draft day, especially for those of you in hits leagues.
3) James Neal has missed some time with injury but pro-rate his numbers up and he's be second in the league in scoring with 65 points. Add in his great shot, PPP, and hits numbers and you've got a guy that is a true stud.
4) Somehow Neal is owned in only 98% of Yahoo! leagues though.
5) Jason Demers tied his career high with his 24th point of the season a few weeks ago in 28 fewer games. He hasn't picked up a point in the last five though. I guess he thinks he's done enough.
6) Plus-minus killers. Here are the fantasy worthy players that have been killing teams in plus-minus : Jason Speeza (-19), Sam Gagner, (-18), Alexander Edler (-17), Seth Jones (-17), Alex Ovechkin (-17), Vincent Lecavalier (-16) and Dustin Byfuglien (-16)
7) Rick Nash doesn't have an assist in 2014. He does have 11 goals in that time.
8) Since December 23rd, Ondrej Palat has 19 points in 18 games. No idea why he is still owned in just 13% of Yahoo! leagues. Nice plus-minus, hits a good amount and shoots a bit as well.
9) So Ben Scrivens is third in the league in gaa and 1st in sv%. Playing in front of the Oilers D, I can't see that lasting long.
10) Scrivens is one of only five goalies to have four shutouts as well. Tuukka Rask leads the league with five.
11) Speaking of Rask, he hasn't been too hot lately. Since December 14th he's been pulled four times and has had sv%'s less than .900 in seven different games. Very un-Rask like behaviour.
12) Poor Buffalo they are dead last in shots for and third last in shots against (Toronto is last, Ottawa is second last).
13) With 11 points in his last 13 games Frans Nielsen just keeps rolling along. He's currently tied for 35th in the league with 43 points. His career best of 47 should be bested shortly.
14) Random Fact Department: P.K. Subban and Wayne Simmonds are the only two players with more than 15 PPP and 50 PIM's.
15) Florida's PP is clicking at a terrible 9% so far this year. Pittsburgh's is almost three times as effective (25%). If Ovie can pick it up a bit he could finish with more PPG's than the entire Florida team (it's currently 14 for Ovie to 16 for Florida)
Any interesting thoughts you're got rattling around in that head of yours? Share 'em in the comments.